The Mt. Angel Fire District, formerly known as "Mt. Angel Fire Department", was formed after the 23rd legislature incorporated Mt. Angel as a city in 1905 and Fred Schwab became the first Mayor. Mt. Angel had a fire department before the 1905 date (1890's) but 1905 was when the formal organization was put in place with a city government. Over the years the organization has changed many times, the Mt. Angel Rural Fire Protection District was formed in 1946 and contracted for fire protection from the City of Mt. Angel in 1947. In November of 2003, the decision was made to consolidate the City and Rural District into one District. Currently the District protects approximately 35 square miles with one station and has roughly 30 to 40 volunteers.